[visionlist] Fully funded 3-year PhD position in the Department of Computer Science at the University of Liverpool.

Marco Bertamini marco.bertamini at gmail.com
Tue May 15 16:44:49 -05 2018

Fully funded 3-year PhD position in the Department of Computer Science at
the University of Liverpool.

https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/postgraduate-research/studentships/combinatorics-of-visual-perception/

The Department is a world-leading research centre with strengths in
Theoretical Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence. It offers a
strong research environment spanning a wide range of research topics such
as complexity theory and algorithms, distributed computing and computer
networks, verification and formal methods, automata and computability
theory, computational game theory, data mining, machine learning and
natural language processing.

The specific project is cross-disciplinary by its very nature. We are
interested in the analysis of the mathematical properties of finite
configurations of objects (typically points) in bounded geometric
environments, particularly those that originate from random processes.
Relative distances, clustering properties, and other spatial features seem
relevant, their typical values and their correlations. This study will be
carried out within the context of an important experimental research area:
we plan to investigate how the mathematical features of the
configurations inform our understanding of perceptual properties such as
perceived order, complexity, and numerosity. The project is part of an
exciting on-going collaboration between the Department of Computer Science
and the Department of Psychological Science, focusing on the interplay
between mathematically defined concepts and human perception, the study
(both analytical and algorithmic) of combinatorial properties or random
structures, and their relationship with the mechanisms that affect the way
we see the world.

The main supervisor (Michele Zito) is based in the Computer Science
Department, while the second supervisor (Marco Bertamini) is based in the
Department of Psychological Science.

Application Deadline: 15 June 2018

Marco Bertamini                         M.Bertamini at liverpool.ac.uk
School of Psychology                +44 (0)151 794 2954 (office)
Eleanor Rathbone Building
University of Liverpool
Liverpool L69 7ZA

www.bertamini.org/lab