[visionlist] Computer Scientist in Neuroscience Lab
Tomash.Kazmar at seznam.cz
Mon Nov 12 10:52:10 -05 2018
Computer Scientist / Machine Learning Specialist in Neuroscience lab
Full-time. Vienna, Austria.
The Zimmer lab in the Department of Neurobiology (University of Vienna)
located at the IMP, part of the Vienna Biocenter Campus (https://www.imp.ac.
at/groups/manuel-zimmer/), is seeking for a highly motivated computer
scientist. Our lab is interested in how neural network dynamics in the brain
perform computations to process information. This is the key problem in
neuroscience puzzling researchers world- wide. We are taking a holistic
approach to solve this problem, using a whole brain activity imaging
technique, in a small model animal called C. elegans. We are able to record
the activity of every single neuron, in real-time, while animals are freely
behaving. This is impossible in any other model system, but key to
understand how the brain functions. The challenge is to extract meaningful
results from these complex datasets, here is where your role will be
What you will do
● Develop state-of-the-art computer vision and machine learning algorithms
for data extraction from 4D image volumes.
● Develop machine learning approaches for classification of anatomical
● Implementation and evaluation of computational approaches for the
analysis of animal behavior andhigh dimensional time-series of neuronal
● Communicate your results to biologists, physicists, mathematicians.
● Support the team with your computational skills.
What we expect
● PhD degree or professional working experience in computer science or
● Experience and strong interest in computer vision, machine learning
● Working knowledge of Python, MATLAB
● Familiarity with Linux & bash scripting
● Interest in biology and neuroscience in particular
● Independent, out-of-the-box thinking
● Willingness to learn new things
What we can offer
● Challenging projects in a high profile scientific environment.
● International interdisciplinary team.
● Professional development.
● Flexible working hours.
● Starting date: as soon as possible.
Please submit your application to Prof. Dr. Manuel Zimmer (manuel.zimmer@
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the visionlist