[visionlist] Collaborator sought to help with recruitment of congenitally blind people

Stefanie Becker s.becker at psy.uq.edu.au
Thu Nov 29 12:30:50 -05 2018

Dear all,

one of my favourite projects just got stuck because I have trouble recruiting congenitally blind participants in Australia. The project seeks to test neuroplasticity and especially, recruitment of visual cortex in congenitally blind and early blind people using a tactile and auditory task with EEG. So now I'm writing to you to see whether there may be someone who is working with congenitally blind or early blind people and who may be interested in collaborating with me on this project.
I have an EEG system (64-channel Brainproducts), tactile stimulators, and a highly skilled and competent PhD student (Aimee Martin) who would be willing to travel to a different location (including overseas) to conduct the testing. Aimee is very capable and an absolute joy to work with, plus she could bring all the necessary equipment for testing with her. All we would need is access to a testing room and congenitally blind or early blind participants -- ideally, 16-20 participants, but any number of participants would mean progress for us. Collaborators would naturally be offered co-authorship on any publications arising from the study.
If you would like to know more about the project, please let me know and I'll describe the background for the project and our aims and approach in more detail (s.becker at psy.uq.edu.au).

About me: My work centrally revolves around visual attention, and I'm currently employed as an Associate Professor at The University of Queensland, Australia. To learn more about my current projects, you can visit my website (www.sibecker.com) or my google scholar page (https://scholar.google.com.au/citations?user=LFHsQmsAAAAJ&hl=en).

Thanks for reading, and please contact me if you'd be interested in collaborating with me on this project!

Best wishes,
Stefanie

A/Prof Stefanie I. Becker
School of Psychology