[visionlist] Postdoctoral position in control of binocular eye movements

Steve Heinen heinen at ski.org
Fri Jan 11 18:54:20 -05 2019

Our laboratory seeks a postdoctoral fellow to be funded by an NEI institutional training grant to Smith-Kettlewell, or through an internal funding mechanism. Eye movements are a sensitive probe of neural function and dysfunction, and are commonly recorded for theoretical and applied research. However, oculomotor physiologists usually study the oculomotor system as if a single command drives both eyes, and measure only one eye assuming identical rotation from the other. In fact, most eye movements require unequal rotation of the eyes. We use binocular recording to investigate how this occurs in normal and strabismic observers. Eye tracking is a central focus at Smith-Kettlewell, and we have multiple binocular EyeLink 1000s, a PlusOptix that measures accommodation, two SLOs, and other head-mounted (SMI, Arrington) and head-free (Tobii, Pupil) trackers.

Smith-Kettlewell has a uniquely attractive postdoctoral program in vision research and related fields. Fellows are trained to become independent scientists and are supported and encouraged to propose and pursue their own research in close collaboration and mentorship with one or more of our principal investigators. The institute is located in San Francisco, a hub of biomedical and biotech research. Our location and reputation in vision science affords the opportunity for postdocs to collaborate with nearby universities and tech companies.

The fellowship requires a Ph.D. or M.D. and is normally awarded for two years. Successful fellows often continue here as sponsored investigators. Applications from individuals with disabilities or other underrepresented groups are particularly encouraged. Fellows are funded either by an NEI institutional training grant, or through a Smith-Kettlewell fellowship. The training grant requires that fellows be US citizens or permanent residents, while the fellowship is open to US citizens and foreign nationals.

Applications are accepted until January 31, 2019. Details of the program and application procedures are at http://www.ski.org/how-apply<https://www.ski.org/how-apply>. To apply, please contact me to begin the application process at heinen at ski.org<mailto:heinen at ski.org> . For further questions about the program, please email Dr. Preeti Verghese or Beatriz St. John at fellowships at ski.org.<mailto:%20fellowships at ski.org>

--
Stephen J. Heinen, Ph.D., Senior Scientist
The Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Institute