[visionlist] Jacob Nachmias, 1928-2019

Oruc, Ipek ipor at mail.ubc.ca
Sat Mar 9 18:51:23 -04 2019

Dear David, Norma, Saul, Beau and colleagues,

My heart is broken with this sad news. It was just a couple of days ago, as I re-read Jack’s 1972 chapter ‘Signal Detection Theory and its Application to Problems in Vision’ to prepare for my lecture on SDT, I could so clearly hear his voice in my head. While I read, I couldn’t help but admire how elegantly and clearly he wrote. I now realize he was already gone as I read his words.

I met Jack during my postdoc with Ben Backus at Penn. Of all things, we connected first over our shared love of etymology. We would exchange daily emails over the origin of a word in Ladino, a food item or other topic, and solved many fun mysteries like that. He was easily the most thoughtful and gentle person I’ve ever met. Moving to the west coast a year later meant I didn’t get a chance to get to know him better but I always cherished the time I spent with him, his mentorship, and his friendship.

We lose a giant of our field and a truly beautiful human being.

Nunca no me va olvidar de ti Jack Nachmias. I will never forget you.

Love,

Ipek Oruc