[visionlist] Two post-doctoral positions at MIT: Brain Plasticity / Visual Learning

Pawan Sinha psinha at mit.edu
Fri May 3 09:36:11 -04 2019

We invite applications for two postdoctoral positions in Pawan Sinha's
laboratory within the Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences at MIT.

*Position 1: Brain Plasticity*
Using human neuro-imaging and electrophysiology, we seek to characterize
cortical plasticity at different ages and also explore methods for its
modulation. An unusual opportunity we have in pursuing this project is
access to children who have been treated for early and extended blindness (
www.ProjectPrakash.org). Simultaneous/longitudinal behavioral and neural
assessments of these children can yield clues regarding the capacity of the
brain to change late in the developmental timeline and the linkages between
neural organization and manifest skills.
Applicants should have strong background in human neuro-imaging and good
programming skills (MATLAB, PsychToolBox and/or Python). Experience in
mathematical modeling and clinical vision is a plus. The initial
appointment will be for one year with possibility for extension.

*Position 2: Visual Learning*
Using computational modeling and human psychophysics, we seek to understand
how early sensory experience guides the acquisition of visual and
cross-modal abilities. This work lies at the intersection of studies of
typical visual development, atypical developmental trajectories (as with
the Prakash children) and machine learning. As an example of this line of
work, please refer to: Vogelsang et al., 2018, Proc Natl Acad Sci U S
A;115(44):11333-11338.
Applicants should have strong background in computational modeling, and
good programming skills (MATLAB, PsychToolBox and/or Python). Experience in
human psychophysics is desirable. The initial appointment will be for one
year with possibility for extension.

To apply for either position, please send your CV, a brief statement of
research interests, and contact information for three references to Pawan
Sinha (psinha at mit.edu).

Pawan Sinha, Ph.D.
Professor of Vision and Computational Neuroscience
Director, Project Prakash
Department of Brain and Cognitive Sciences
MIT
Cambridge, MA