[visionlist] Deadline Extension - Special Issue on Perception and Depiction of Materials - 1 August 2019

Maarten Wijntjes - IO M.W.A.Wijntjes at tudelft.nl
Thu May 30 04:38:39 -04 2019

See below for the original call. Because we received requests for a deadline extension, and because we would really like to have an interesting collection of papers for our special issue, we decided to extend the deadline for 2 months. The new deadline is 1 August 2019. The final publication date therefore also shifts 2 months, but manuscripts that have been submitted already will be processed as swiftly as possible and once accepted can likely be published in preprint.

CALL FOR PAPERS
Special issue of Art and Perception
On the perception and depiction of materials

In the art of painting the rendering of space has always been considered of great importance, and perspective, shading and foreshortening have been widely studied. The rendering of materials is quite another matter. It was equally deemed essential for the art painting in the past, but it has received little scholarly or scientific attention until now.

November last year a symposium was organised, The Skin of Things, devoted both to art historical and to perceptual aspects of the rendering of materials.
The symposium was exciting, with high quality contributions by art historians, vision scientists and computer scientist.

A special edition of the peer reviewed journal Art and Perception has been planned for contributions on the subject of the symposium: the depiction and/or perception of material properties. The volume will be edited by Claus-Christian Carbon and Robert Pepperell, while Maarten Wijntjes and Jeroen Stumpel, will be added as guest editors for this issue.

This call for contributions is directed at all participants of our symposium, but other researchers are also very welcome to submit papers, provided these will clearly fit within the general topic.
The organizers are thinking of papers for instance on 17th century theories regarding the depiction and perception of materials; on the aesthetics of surface materials in various art periods; on computer rendering of surfaces; on the perception of gloss and highlights in nature and art; or, say, a topic like the biology of food perception in relation to the production of images. If you feel in doubt whether your contribution would fit our scope, feel free to contact us (J.F.H.J.Stumpel at uu.nl<mailto:J.F.H.J.Stumpel at uu.nl>, M.W.A.Wijntjes at tudelft.nl<mailto:M.W.A.Wijntjes at tudelft.nl>)

Contributions of about 3000 words are strongly preferred, with a maximum of 4500 (not including footnotes or bibliography). Pictures, graphs, diagrams and other such materials have to be provided for by the authors. Submitted papers will only be accepted after a peer review process, as is normally the case with Art and Perception. To submit your manuscript
1) visit Art and Perception<https://brill.com/view/journals/artp/artp-overview.xml>
2) click on ‘Submit an Article’,
3) read the Instructions for Authors
4) Click on the link to Editorial Manager (or here<https://www.editorialmanager.com/ARTP/default.aspx> if you want to skip steps 1-3)
5) Login and select the special issue at the ‘Select Article Type’

Important dates (UPDATED):
First submission deadline: 1 August
Reviews due: 1 October
Decision letter: 15 October
Revisions due: 15 December
Final decision: 1 Januari
Publication: February

We are looking very much forward to your contributions.

Jeroen Stumpel
Maarten Wijntjes