[visionlist] Tenure-Track Faculty positions in Color Science, RIT Munsell Color Science Laboratory

Michael Murdoch michael.murdoch at mail.rit.edu
Thu Oct 17 14:10:34 -04 2019

DETAILED JOB DESCRIPTION: RIT’s Program of Color Science is expanding and is seeking up to two tenure-track assistant professors to complement its existing faculty starting in August 2020. Applicants are invited who have an interest in pursuing an academic career in the multi-disciplinary field of color science and teaching in the core program topics of colorimetry, computational vision science, psychophysics, color physics, and modeling visual perception.

As written in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, “Color science is a flourishing field of science, with a long history that goes back to Newton, and includes such famous figures as Young, Maxwell, Helmholtz, and Hering.” The newly hired faculty, together with existing faculty, will help define the future of the Program of Color Science at RIT as a model multi-disciplinary effort and define the field of color science for the next several decades.

While we will consider outstanding applicants with expertise in any area of color science we are particularly interested in expanding and strengthening our expertise in areas broadly defined as: (1) computational color science, (2) cultural heritage, (3) applied cognitive neuroscience, (4) colorimetry / fundamental color science, (5) materials for displays and lighting, (6) color science in healthcare, and (7) color science in agriculture.

We are seeking individuals with the ability and interest to contribute to a community committed to Student Centeredness; Professional Development and Scholarship; Integrity and Ethics; Respect, Diversity and Pluralism; Innovation and Flexibility; and Teamwork and Collaboration.

THE COLLEGE/ DEPARTMENT: RIT has a long history of color science research and education dating back nearly four decades to the establishment of the Munsell Color
Science Laboratory and the Richard S. Hunter Professorship in Color Science, Appearance, and Technology. The M.S. program was founded in 1986, with the Ph.D. program following in 2007. The Program has also recently begun offering two undergraduate minors in the Art of Science / Science of Art and in Applied Cognitive Neuroscience. RIT is considered one of the world’s pre-eminent academic institutions for the study of color science. The successful candidates will be joining this proud tradition and become future leaders in the field. Further information on the program and laboratories can be found at <mcsl.rit.edu<http://mcsl.rit.edu>>. RIT’s College of Science includes six schools (Physics and Astronomy, Life Sciences, Chemistry and Materials Sciences, Imaging Science, Mathematical Sciences, and Integrated Sciences, which houses the Program of Color Science).

THE UNIVERSITY: Founded in 1829, Rochester Institute of Technology is a diverse and collaborative community of engaged, socially conscious, and intellectually curious
minds. Through creativity and innovation, and an intentional blending of technology, the arts and design, we provide exceptional individuals with a wide range of academic
opportunities, including a leading research program and an internationally recognized education for deaf and hard-of-hearing students. Beyond our main campus in Rochester, New York, RIT has international campuses in China, Croatia, Dubai, and Kosovo. And with more than 19,000 students and more than 125,000 graduates from all 50 states and over 100 nations, RIT is driving progress in industries and communities around the world. At RIT, we are always on to something amazing.

REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
An earned doctorate related to color science.
Research and/or teaching experience in color science.
Desire to teach graduate and undergraduate students.
Interest and ability to mentor graduate students (M.S. and Ph.D.) in color science.
Interest and ability to build and direct a diverse extramurally-funded research program.
Ability to contribute in meaningful ways to the college’s continuing commitment to cultural diversity, pluralism, and individual differences.

Apply online at https://careers.rit.edu/faculty  Search:  4826BR
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until an acceptable candidate is found.

ANTICIPATED START DATE: August 15, 2020

Michael J. Murdoch, PhD
Assistant Professor
Program of Color Science / Munsell Color Science Laboratory
Rochester Institute of Technology
54 Lomb Memorial Drive, COL-1065
Rochester, NY 14623 USA
+1-585-475-4134