[visionlist] Call for Special Issue: Symmetry of Perception and Behaviour

Tadamasa Sawada tada.masa.sawada at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 01:00:00 -04 2019

Call for papers: *Symmetry of Perception and Behaviour*

*MDPI Symmetry* invites contributions for a special issue "Symmetry of
Perception and Behaviour".
https://www.mdpi.com/journal/symmetry/special_issues/symmetry_animal_vision

The deadline for submission is *31 May 2020*.
Original research articles, review articles as well as short communications
are invited.
This special issue will be edited by Tadamasa Sawada (National Research
University Higher School of Economics) and Chien-Chung Chen (National
Taiwan University).
Accepted papers will be soon published in the journal and will be listed
together on the special issue website.

Symmetry is ubiquitous in our everyday life. Many objects are symmetrical,
and their surfaces are often covered with symmetrical patterns. The visual
aesthetics of symmetry have been well-regarded in art, and the sensitivity
of the visual system to symmetry has frequently been studied in visual
science. Currently, our sensitivity to symmetry is often explained
teleologically, but recent studies have shown that the visual system makes
use of the symmetry of objects and patterns to perceive them veridically.
We also have computer vision theories and models that are based on the
symmetry of objects and patterns. This Special Issue is devoted to
empirical and theoretical studies of the role symmetry plays in human,
computer, and animal vision in our everyday life.

Tadamasa Sawada
Assistant Professor
School of Psychology
Higher School of Economics