[visionlist] SVG - registration extended (21st Feburary)

Martinovic, Jasna j.martinovic at abdn.ac.uk
Thu Jan 30 13:34:14 -04 2020

Scottish Vision Group Meeting

registration and abstract submission open until 21st February

Conference date: April 3-5, 2020

The Scottish Vision Group Meeting 2020 will take place at Dunkeld House Hotel (http://www.dunkeldhousehotel.co.uk/) in the picturesque town of Dunkeld from Friday, April 3rd to Sunday, April 5th 2020.

The Scottish Vision Group holds an annual conference for vision scientists from Scotland, the rest of the UK, Europe and beyond. The meeting is small and friendly, and aims to provide an opportunity for scientists at all stages of their career to present their work and discuss ideas. The meeting traditionally starts with a late afternoon discussion panel and a keynote on a Friday, followed by a series of talks on Saturday and Sunday, with the end of the meeting marked by a packed lunch served after the end of the morning sessions.

Keynote lecture: Prof Ute Leonards, Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Bristol
Gibson Revisited: toward understanding sensory affordances of real-world environments
More than 50 years ago, JJ Gibson introduced the concept of affordances, which directly link actions to available information in our environments. Yet, even today there is little crosstalk between visual cognition research and locomotion research, preventing us from understanding the affordances of sensory environments in real world environments. In my talk, I will outline how following a Gibsonian approach could help us to find solutions to pressing societal issues such as understanding how the environments we create impact our health and wellbeing or how we could reduce fall risk in an ageing population. In a series of experiments, I will provide evidence how the visual environment affects gait, even in hazard-free environments with even ground - be it through the patterns on floor coverings or, more generally, the type of visual environment we are in. I will finish my talk with an outlook that goes beyond the research laboratory to modern urban design and will present a first attempt at a theoretical framework of Sustainable Urban Design informed by vision sciences.

(sponsor: MDPI Vision (https:/www.mdpi.com/journal/vision<http://www.mdpi.com/journal/vision>))

Discussion panel: Camouflage, with participation from Prof Julie Harris (St Andrews), Prof Innes Cuthill (Bristol), Prof Nick Scott-Samuel (Bristol), chaired by Dr George Lovell (Abertay).

(sponsor: Facebook Reality Labs)

To register, please use the following link:

https://www.store.abdn.ac.uk/conferences-and-events/conferences-symposia-seminars/school-of-psychology

Registration includes accommodation, meals and conference costs (tea breaks, venue costs). If you need a different arrangement than what's on offer in the online store (e.g., you would like to arrange your own accommodation), please get in touch with the main organiser (Dr Jasna Martinovic, j.martinovic at abdn.ac.uk<mailto:j.martinovic at abdn.ac.uk>). We should also be able to add additional rooms to our online shop, so if a room type you desire becomes unavailable please get in touch. In fact, due to popular demand, we've added more rooms and extended the registration deadline. Our online shop is currently reporting that certain room types are unavailable but we are hoping that this will be fixed soon - we have extended our room allocation with the hotel so if you receive a "room unavailable" notice, please get in touch and we will try to sort your booking out for as soon as possible.

Abstracts should be submitted to 2020svg at gmail.com<mailto:2020svg at gmail.com>. Abstract formatting as follows: references should be given in the body of the abstract in full, but without the title, e.g. (Rayner et al, 2001, Vis Res, 41, 943-954) and the abstract word limit is 250. It will be assumed that the first author will be the presenting author. This year, abstracts will be published in MDPI Vision. There is no fee. Please note at abstract submission whether you would like your abstract published or not.

Thanks to the generous support of Facebook Reality Labs, we are able to offer two early career (undergraduate or postgraduate) bursaries, intended for outstanding students who would otherwise not be able to fund their attendance. If you would like to be considered for the award, please submit your abstract, CV, an outline of your expenses and a supporting letter from your supervisor, which besides its usual content (describing the merits of the candidate and their work) should also mention that their student funding does not include sufficient funds to attend the meeting. The deadline for these awards has also been extended and is now 10th of February - the organisers will still aim to inform the successful candidates by mid-February.

If you need any further information, please get in touch. We look forward to seeing you in Dunkeld.

Dr Jasna Martinovic

p.s. Apologies for crossposting!

Tha Oilthigh Obar Dheathain na charthannas cl?raichte ann an Alba, ?ir. SC013683.