[visionlist] Time to respond to the NIH National Eye Institute Strategic Plan

Wolfe, Jeremy M.,Ph.D. jwolfe at bwh.harvard.edu
Thu May 27 07:55:41 -04 2021

Hello Everybody
Now that VSS is over, it is time to do a little planning for the future – at least, for the future of the funding of vision science in the US. The NIH National Eye Institute is drafting its latest Strategic Plan<https://www.nei.nih.gov/about/strategic-planning> and they are requesting feedback on the current version. This is your chance to raise up the issues that you think are important to the field. The deadline in June 7.
There are at least two things you could do:

1)    Read the relevant parts of the report<https://www.nei.nih.gov/about/strategic-planning> and send in your own comments (My understanding is the brevity is a virtue.)

2)    Together with the Federation of Associations of Behavioral and Brain Sciences (FABBS), I am working on a reply that suggests more emphasis on the " Impacts of visual behavior on health and quality of life." The argument here is that visual cognition, visual behavior, and visual attention are central to understanding problems from medical error to using graphics to teach the public about vaccine risk. If you have examples where human behavioral vision research can have an impact, please send them to me and we will work them into our reply to NIH. (jwolfe at bwh.harvard.edu<mailto:jwolfe at bwh.harvard.edu>).
Of course, brain science, computer science, and other topics are also important to us. They seem to be called out quite well in the draft (but you can decide for yourself). Mention of human behavioral vision research seems pretty thin.
Here is the relevant NIH website<https://www.nei.nih.gov/about/strategic-planning>:  https://www.nei.nih.gov/about/strategic-planning
Thanks for your help
Jeremy Wolfe
Jeremy M Wolfe, PhD
Professor of Ophthalmology & Radiology,
Harvard Medical School

Visual Attention Lab
Department of Surgery
Brigham & Women's Hospital

900 Commonwealth Ave
3rd floor
Boston, MA  02215

Phone:  617-525-3680

Best email: jwolfe at bwh.harvard.edu<mailto:jwolfe at bwh.harvard.edu>
Backup: jeremywolfe0131 at gmail.com<mailto:jeremywolfe0131 at gmail.com>

Editor: Cognitive Research: Principles and Implications (CRPI)
CRPI is the open access, peer-reviewed journal of the Psychonomics Society
Do you do "use-inspired, basic research" in Cognition? That is what we publish.
http://www.cognitiveresearchjournal.springeropen.com/

The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the e-mail contains patient information, please contact the Mass General Brigham Compliance HelpLine at http://www.massgeneralbrigham.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in error but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and properly dispose of the e-mail.
Please note that this e-mail is not secure (encrypted).  If you do not wish to continue communication over unencrypted e-mail, please notify the sender of this message immediately.  Continuing to send or respond to e-mail after receiving this message means you understand and accept this risk and wish to continue to communicate over unencrypted e-mail.