[visionlist] Vaegan seminar: A/Prof Stuart Perry (University of Technology Sydney, UTS)

Juno Kim juno.kim at unsw.edu.au
Sat May 29 01:19:59 -04 2021

Dear friends,

Please join me for our first Vaegan seminar for Term 2 to be given by A/Prof Stuart Perry (UTS). His talk is entitled: "JPEG Pleno Point Cloud: Quality Assessment of Point Clouds in a Standardisation Context".

THIS IS A HYBRID EVENT (ATTEND EITHER FACE-TO-FACE OR ONLINE VIA ZOOM)

The event will be held in the Rupert Myers Lecture Theatre (UNSW Sydney, Nearest entry Gate 14). Please RSVP if attending in person. Alternate Zoom link and meeting information provided below.

Best regards,

Juno

Title: JPEG Pleno Point Cloud: Quality Assessment of Point Clouds in a Standardisation Context
When: Time: June 04, 2021 01:00 PM Canberra, Melbourne, Sydney (AEST)
Where: Either face-to-face at the Rupert Myers Lecture Theatre (UNSW Sydney, Australia).
Or alternatively, please join remotely via Zoom (meeting information below)
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://unsw.zoom.us/j/82283182811
(Please RSVP for the meeting password as usual – always the same password for each meeting).
Abstract: Since its founding in 1986, the JPEG Committee has been producing widely used standards for the efficient representation of visual data.  Aside from the highly successful JPEG format for 2D images, committee has also developed a family of standards including high-dynamic range images, stereoscopic images and recently has moved into the representation of plenoptic imagery, in particular holograms, light fields and point clouds. In this talk we will discuss JPEG’s activities in the area of point cloud coding. We will discuss the process of standardisation and the challenging, time-consuming and yet very important area of objective and subjective evaluation of point cloud technology in a standardisation context. We will discuss JPEG’s plans for future point cloud coding standards and the exciting new area of machine-learning based coding of point clouds and how this may impact future standards for point clouds and other 3D data.
Bio: Stuart Perry gained his PhD in Electrical Engineering in 1999 from the University of Sydney, Australia. He previously worked for the Defence Science and Technology Organisation and Canon Information Systems Research Australia (CiSRA). He is currently an Associate Professor at the School of Electrical and Data Engineering, Faculty of Engineering and IT, University of Technology Sydney and co-director of the Perceptual Imaging Laboratory (PILab) conducting research into colour and perceptual quality in 3D environments. He is an Australian Representative for ISO standards for still image compression as well as chair of the JPEG Pleno Ad Hoc Group on Point Cloud Compression and Co-Chair of the JPEG Plenoptic Coding and Quality Sub-Group. He has more than 30 international publications including two books and 20 patents.

Juno Kim | PhD (Psychology) | Associate Professor
School of Optometry and Vision Science
UNSW MEDICINE AND HEALTH
UNSW SYDNEY NSW 2052 AUSTRALIA
E: juno.kim at unsw.edu.au<mailto:juno.kim at unsw.edu.au>  | T: +61 2 9065 1218<mailto:juno.kim at unsw.edu.au>
Skype: junokim39
CRICOS Provider Code 00098G

School of Optometry and Vision Science Mission Statement:
‘Advancing vision and eye health in society through world-class, innovative, multi-disciplinary education and research'