[visionlist] [Jobs] Assistant/Associate Professors in Computer Vision and Machine Learning (Tenure Track 0.8 - 1.0 FTE)

Poppe, R.W. (Ronald) R.W.Poppe at uu.nl
Tue Jun 22 09:41:21 -04 2021

At least 10 positions are available, including in computer vision and machine learning.

Utrecht University
Faculty of Science
Department of Information and Computing Sciences

Hours per week: 30-40
Deadline: 31 August 2021
Website: https://www.uu.nl/en/organisation/working-at-utrecht-university/jobs/assistant-or-associate-professors-in-information-and-computing-sciences-tenure-track-08-10-fte

Job description
Due to our successful educational programmes and our ambitions in research, the Department of Information and Computing Sciences<https://www.uu.nl/en/organisation/department-of-information-and-computing-sciences> is expanding. We are therefore actively searching for 10 or more motivated and committed Assistant or Associate Professors in Information and Computing Sciences. Please note that the levels of the positions offered will vary, depending on experience and expertise.

You have a background in Computing and Information Sciences, preferably in the areas of Machine Learning (Reinforcement Learning, large scale Deep Learning, etc.) or Computer Vision. Other positions are available for Computer Graphics, Interaction Technology, Human Computer Interaction, Technologies for Software Production (e.g. Cloud Computing and Architecture), Data Science, AI & Law, Computer Science Education, and Security or Web Semantics and Technology.

You possess a proven commitment and talent for research. As teaching is also an essential part of the work, we are searching for people with a demonstrable motivation to teach, and who have a flexible attitude. The Department provides a dynamic work environment. Our approach is characterized by a connected, open, and can-do spirit that stimulates personal initiative and curiosity. You are a team player who is encouraged to take ownership and create value while sharing your knowledge both internally and across the wider (global) community. Every day we aim to live up to this mission because we believe it is the only way to make the breakthroughs that will help solve the challenges facing the world.

If you are excited to actively participate and collaborate in shaping the department, we invite you to apply.

Qualifications
We are looking for new colleagues to complement our team at an academic as well as a personal level, and who fit well with the following qualifications:

  *   a PhD in Computer Science, Information Science or another relevant discipline;
  *   publications with impact, in international conferences and journals;
  *   experience with, or good prospects for acquiring external research funds;
  *   a vision on future research directions in your own area of expertise;
  *   experience with, or readiness to supervise PhD projects;
  *   experience with and enthusiasm for teaching and student supervision;
  *   the ability to teach in departmental Bachelor's and Master's programmes;
  *   experience with or willingness to use innovative teaching methods, and (e-learning) technologies;
  *   has a vision on teaching and your own contribution to teaching;
  *   the ability to speak and write English fluently.

Offer

  *   an appointment at the level of Assistant or Associate Professor, initially for a period of 5 years. The position will be subject to a mid-term evaluation after approximately 2.5 years and an end-term evaluation. Following a positive evaluation the position will become permanent after 5 years;
  *   a gross salary – depending on previous qualifications and experience - ranges between €3,353 and €6,940 (scale 10-14 according to the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities (cao)) per month for full-time employment;
  *   salaries are supplemented with a holiday bonus of 8% and a year-end bonus of 8.3% per year;
  *   a pension scheme, collective insurance schemes, and partially paid parental leave based on the Collective Labour Agreement Dutch Universities<https://vsnu.nl/files/documents/Collective%20Labor%20Agreement%201%20January%202020%20-%2031%20December%202020%20VSNU%20voor%20web.pdf?utm_source=Ledenlijst+Nieuwsbrief+Arbeidszaken&utm_campaign=ac9e6f4a86-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_05_25_12_15_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_cfac4b55aa-ac9e6f4a86-128684177>;
  *   special perks include the assistance of a new PhD candidate funded by the Department in order to start up your research, the possibility to develop towards acquiring a Basic Teaching Qualification, supported with educational development programmes offered by the University, and the possibility to travel to conferences.

In addition to the employment conditions laid down in the CAO for Dutch Universities, Utrecht University has a number of its own arrangements. For example, there are agreements on professional development, leave arrangements and sports. We also give you the opportunity to expand your terms of employment via the Employment Conditions Selection Model<https://www.uu.nl/en/organisation/working-at-utrecht-university/terms-of-employment>. This is how we like to encourage you to continue to grow.

For international employees, the University offers help with finding housing, child care and schools, as well as a partner programme and a Dutch language course.

More information about working at the Faculty of Science can be found here<https://www.uu.nl/en/organisation/working-at-utrecht-university/terms-of-employment>.

Utrecht is an attractive city located in the Netherlands, one of the world’s most open and connected countries. Utrecht University reflects this philosophy by offering a flexible work/life balance that prioritizes your well-being within an understanding and supportive, family-friendly environment.

About the organisation
The Department of Information and Computing Sciences<https://www.uu.nl/en/organisation/department-of-information-and-computing-sciences> is nationally and internationally renowned for its fundamental and applied research in computer science and information science. In our constantly changing (digital) society, we are constantly looking for new, realistic ways to push the boundaries of both science and social application. We contribute to innovative information technologies through the development and application of new concepts, theories, algorithms, and software methods. Relevant areas of interdisciplinary research include Game Research, Foundations of Complex Systems, Applied Data Science, and Artificial Intelligence.

The department has, among others, close collaborations with the University Medical Center<https://www.uu.nl/en/research/utrecht-molecular-immunology-hub/expertise/university-medical-centre-utrecht>, the Departments of Physics<https://www.uu.nl/en/organisation/department-of-physics> and Mathematics<https://www.uu.nl/en/organisation/department-of-mathematics>, and the Faculties of Humanities<https://www.uu.nl/en/organisation/faculty-of-humanities> and Geosciences<https://www.uu.nl/en/organisation/faculty-of-geosciences>. The department offers Bachelor's programmes in Computer Science and Information Science, and six English language research Master's programmes in Artificial Intelligence, Business Informatics, Computing Science, Human-Computer Interaction, Game and Media Technology, and Applied Data Science. High enrolment figures and good student ratings make the education very successful. The Department currently comprises 16 Chairs and 146 other scientific staff, including Postdocs and PhD candidates.

At the Faculty of Science<https://www.uu.nl/en/organisation/faculty-of-science> there are 6 departments to make a fundamental connection with: Biology, Chemistry, Information and Computing Sciences, Mathematics, Pharmaceutical Sciences, and Physics. Each of these is made up of distinct institutes that work together to focus on answering some of humanity’s most pressing problems. More fundamental still are the individual research groups – the building blocks of our ambitious scientific projects.

Utrecht University<https://www.uu.nl/en/organisation/faculty-of-science> is a friendly and ambitious university at the heart of an ancient city. We love to welcome new scientists to our city – a thriving cultural hub that is consistently rated as one of the world’s happiest cities. We are renowned for our innovative interdisciplinary research, and our emphasis on inspirational research and excellent education. We are equally well-known for our informal atmosphere and the can-do mentality of our people. This lively and inspiring academic environment attracts professors, researchers, and PhD candidates from all over the globe, making both the University and the Faculty of Science a vibrant international and wonderfully diverse community.

Additional information
Do you have any questions that you would like an answer to first? No problem. Please contact Professor Marc van Kreveld<https://www.uu.nl/staff/MJvanKreveld> (Research Director) via mailto:M.J.vanKreveld at uu.nl.

Do you have a question about the application procedure? Then please send an email to science.recruitment at uu.nl<mailto:science.recruitment at uu.nl>  external link.

Apply
Everyone deserves to feel at home at our university. We welcome employees with a wide variety of backgrounds and perspectives and we attach great importance to diversity and gender balance. Applicants are encouraged to mention any personal circumstances that need to be taken into account, for example, parental leave or military service. If you prefer a part-time appointment, you are also invited to apply, stating the desired part-time ratio.

If you have the expertise and the experience to excel in this role, then simply respond via the “Apply now” button! Please enclose the following documents in English:

  *   a cover letter describing the reasons for your interest in the position;
  *   a full academic curriculum vitae, including a list of publications;
  *   a research statement (max two pages) and teaching statement (max two pages);
  *   a copy of your PhD certificate;
  *   contact details of two or three references;
  *   please also specify in which of the following area(s) you are interested: Machine Learning (Reinforcement learning, large scale deep learning, etc.), Computer Vision, Computer graphics, Interaction Technology, Human Computer Interaction, Technologies for Software Production (e.g. Cloud computing and architecture), Data Science, AI & Law, Computer Science Education, Security or Web Semantics and Technology.

If this specific opportunity is not for you, but you know someone else who may be interested, please forward this vacancy to them.

The interviews will be planned between September 27 and October 8.