[visionlist] Apply NOW: PostDoc position (2yrs+) & PhD position (3yrs+) at the Scene Grammar Lab, Goethe University Frankfurt, Germany

mlvo mlvo at psych.uni-frankfurt.de
Thu Jan 13 18:01:30 -04 2022

The Scene Grammar Lab <http://www.scenegrammarlab.com/> of Melissa Võ at the Goethe University <http://www.uni-frankfurt.de/en> in Frankfurt, Germany is excited to announce TWO (!) new positions:
A PostDoc position with an initial appointment of 2 years as well as a PhD position with an initial appointment of 3 years, both with the potential to be extended.
Preferred starting date: April/May 2022

The lab’s core research areas include top-down guidance in scene search, neural representation and development of scene knowledge, rapid object and scene categorization, as well as action-perception interactions in real-world scenarios. We use a variety of methods, including psychophysics, stationary, real-world and VR eye-tracking, EEG, as well as computational modeling approaches. Over the past years, we have become experts in studying what we call “scene grammar”, the rules that govern real-world environments. But we also cherish other theoretical views and methodological approaches… as long as they help us to continue MAKING A SCENE! Most importantly, you would be joining a super enthusiastic, fun and warm-hearted team of great minds and personalities here in the lab that has kept up its good spirits (including some fine Scotch) as best as it could throughout this nerve-wrecking pandemic.

We are seeking a highly qualified PostDoc with a doctorate in a relevant field (e.g., Psychology, Neuroscience, Computer Vision, Cognitive Science, ...) and shared interests in the core research areas described above. The researcher should ideally have extensive experience with eye tracking in 2D/3D, with setting up, running, and analyzing VR experiments, and/or computational modeling. Specific experience in the use of DNNs/GANs would be a plus, but isn’t a must.

In addition, we would like to welcome a new, enthusiastic and highly motivated PhD student to our team with a Masters degree in a relevant field (e.g., Psychology, Neuroscience, Computer Science, Cognitive Science, ...). Experience with eye tracking and/or EEG is highly desirable, ideally by having used either of these methods while running studies with children. Kids are great, since they by nature love making a scene, so being able to channel their love into getting interesting developmental scene data out of it, would be fantastic! And even if you don’t yet have experience in running developmental studies, as long as you like the idea of working with kids as part of your PhD, you should apply.

The positions are funded by the DFG (German research Council) as part of the Collaborative Research Centre “Cardinal Mechanisms of Perception" (www.sfb-perception.de/index-en/ <http://www.sfb-perception.de/index-en/>). The CRC aims to further our understanding of the role of prediction, valuation and categorization in perception, their functional relationships, as well as their neural underpinnings. It offers participating scientists a vibrant research community, with many opportunities for scientific exchange. Both PostDocs and PhD students will be able to greatly benefit from the CRC’s large international network of excellent scientists and collaborative research vibe.

Located at the heart of Europe, Frankfurt (am Main) is one of the most international cities in Germany with a vibrant and international community of (no, not only bankers, but) cognitive neuroscientists, cognitive psychologists, computational modelers, and vision scientists. The Goethe University Frankfurt  offers a wide variety of academic programs and numerous research facilities. In addition, Frankfurt has become a hub for cognitive science/neuroscience in Germany and is home to renowned research institutes such as the Max Planck Institute for Brain Research <http://www.brain.mpg.de/home.html>, the Ernst Strüngmann Institute (ESI) <http://www.esi-frankfurt.de/> for Neuroscience in Cooperation with Max Planck Society, the Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies (FIAS) <http://fias.uni-frankfurt.de/>, and the Max Planck Institute for Empirical Aesthetics <https://www.mpg.de/6971390/empirische_aesthetik>. A big pro for developmental work as been that the The DIPF <https://www.dipf.de/en> - the Leibniz Institute for Research and Information in Education - with its grand research facilities specifically established to support developmental behavioral and neurocognitive studies has recently moved onto our campus. Members of the SGL are welcome to use these facilities at any time.

Interested candidates should send a CV, a brief statement of research interests, and the names and contact details of at least two academic references to mlvo at psych.uni-frankfurt.de <mailto:mlvo at psych.uni-frankfurt.de> preferably before Fri, January 28th 2022, but later applications will be considered until the positions are filled.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Stay safe and sane,

Melissa
---