[visionlist] Brains, Minds and Machines Summer Course 2022 [APPLICATION DEADLINE = APR-11-2022]

Gabriel Kreiman gkreiman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 21:55:57 -04 2022

Please circulate the course information among labs/departments/students
that might be interested. Thank you!

*Brains, Minds and Machines Summer Course 2022
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/cbmm.mit.edu/summer-school/2022__;!!NZvER7FxgEiBAiR_!9ce-qYcbzUaZIp7GmqWSsvLKhsLJh8FHwyVmwBTsR9odWznsfvMR5uyUTvtSP98SKhgv3qr15BMsUKU$>*

Advanced Research Training Courses
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.mbl.edu/education/courses/__;!!NZvER7FxgEiBAiR_!9ce-qYcbzUaZIp7GmqWSsvLKhsLJh8FHwyVmwBTsR9odWznsfvMR5uyUTvtSP98SKhgv3qr1I_ATLPg$>
at
MBL Woods Hole, MA
*Directors:* Gabriel Kreiman
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/cbmm.mit.edu/node/20__;!!NZvER7FxgEiBAiR_!9ce-qYcbzUaZIp7GmqWSsvLKhsLJh8FHwyVmwBTsR9odWznsfvMR5uyUTvtSP98SKhgv3qr1rU3nCqo$>
; Boris Katz
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/cbmm.mit.edu/about/people/katz__;!!NZvER7FxgEiBAiR_!9ce-qYcbzUaZIp7GmqWSsvLKhsLJh8FHwyVmwBTsR9odWznsfvMR5uyUTvtSP98SKhgv3qr1Bp18xjw$>;
Tomaso Poggio
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/cbmm.mit.edu/node/9__;!!NZvER7FxgEiBAiR_!9ce-qYcbzUaZIp7GmqWSsvLKhsLJh8FHwyVmwBTsR9odWznsfvMR5uyUTvtSP98SKhgv3qr1uf6rOWw$>
*Location:* Marine Biological Laboratory
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__http:/www.mbl.edu/education/__;!!NZvER7FxgEiBAiR_!9ce-qYcbzUaZIp7GmqWSsvLKhsLJh8FHwyVmwBTsR9odWznsfvMR5uyUTvtSP98SKhgv3qr1l9QJt50$>,
in Woods Hole, MA.
*Course Dates:* August 4 – August 25, 2022
*Application deadline: *April 11, 2022

*Application: *Please visit the MBL website to access the application
portal: https://www.mbl.edu/education/courses/brains-minds-and-machines/
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/www.mbl.edu/education/courses/brains-minds-and-machines/__;!!NZvER7FxgEiBAiR_!9ce-qYcbzUaZIp7GmqWSsvLKhsLJh8FHwyVmwBTsR9odWznsfvMR5uyUTvtSP98SKhgv3qr1swy8B5k$>

More information: https://cbmm.mit.edu/summer-school/2022
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https:/cbmm.mit.edu/summer-school/2022__;!!NZvER7FxgEiBAiR_!9ce-qYcbzUaZIp7GmqWSsvLKhsLJh8FHwyVmwBTsR9odWznsfvMR5uyUTvtSP98SKhgv3qr15BMsUKU$>

The basis of intelligence – how the brain produces intelligent behavior and
how we may be able to replicate intelligence in machines – is arguably the
greatest problem in science and technology. To solve it, we will need to
understand how human intelligence emerges from computations in neural
circuits, with rigor sufficient to reproduce similar intelligent behavior
in machines. Success in this endeavor ultimately will enable us to
understand ourselves better, to produce smarter machines, and perhaps even
to make ourselves smarter. Today’s AI technologies, such as Watson and
Siri, are impressive, but their domain specificity and reliance on vast
numbers of labeled examples are obvious limitations; few view this as
brain-like or human intelligence. The synergistic combination of cognitive
science, neurobiology, engineering, mathematics, and computer science holds
the promise to build much more robust and sophisticated algorithms
implemented in intelligent machines. The goal of this course is to help
produce a community of leaders that is equally knowledgeable in
neuroscience, cognitive science, and computer science and will lead the
development of true biologically inspired AI.

--
Gabriel Kreiman
Professor

Check out our new book: "Biological and Computer Vision"
https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/biological-and-computer-vision/BB7E68A69AFE7A322F68F3C4A297F3CF#fndtn-information