[visionlist] Postdoc positions in retina physiology, Institut de la Vision, Paris

Olivier Marre olivier.marre at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 09:48:46 -04 2022

Dear all,

The lab of Olivier Marre at the Vision Institute, Paris, is looking for
several ERC-funded postdoctoral fellows to study how the retina processes
natural scenes. We welcome applicants with diverse quantitative
backgrounds, including, but not limited to neuroscience, mathematics,
physics, and engineering. We are especially interested in applicants with
good programming skills (Matlab, Python).

Our lab includes a mix of theoreticians and experimentalists, who work
together on two research themes. First, we aim to understand how ganglion
cells, the retinal output, extract relevant information from complex,
natural scenes before it is sent to the rest of the brain. For this we use
a combination of experiments (e.g. large-scale recordings with
multi-electrode arrays) and modeling (based on machine learning and
theoretical physics). Recently we have developed a perturbative approach to
characterize how ganglion cells process natural scenes [1]. We want to
expand this approach and develop novel strategies to understand the
non-linear processing performed by ganglion cells.

Second, we aim to understand how these sensory models are implemented by
the retinal circuit. To do this we have implemented an approach to
systematically dissect out the mouse retinal circuit, combining
optogenetics, two-photon holographic stimulation (see [2] for more details)
and electrophysiological recordings. Ongoing experiments involving
optogenetics stimulation of specific types of amacrine cells are helping to
understand how they shape ganglion cell responses.

The Vision Institute is located in the center of Paris and hosts 20 teams
grouped in 5 departments (genetics, development, physiology, therapeutics
and photonics) providing a broad range of expertise on vision and retina.
It is a highly interdisciplinary environment and we have several on-going
collaborations with experts in optics and gene therapy. Paris is a vibrant
city with a large neuroscience community and a great scientific and
cultural environment.

Candidates should send their CV and a brief cover letter describing their
previous work and future goals, to Olivier Marre: olivier.marre at gmail.com
Don’t hesitate to also contact me for more details. Website:
http://oliviermarre.free.fr/

Best,

Olivier

[1] Goldin, MA*; Lefebvre, B*; Virgili, S*; Pham Van Cang, MK; Ecker, A;
Mora, T; Ferrari, U; Marre, O. Context-dependent selectivity to natural
images in the retina. Nature Communications, in press.
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.10.01.462157v1

[2] Spampinato G.L.B#, Ronzitti E.#, Zampini V., Ferrari U., Trapani F.,
Khabou H., Dalkara D., Picaud S., Papagiakoumou E., Marre O*, Emiliani V*
(2019). All-optical inter-layers functional connectivity investigation in
mice retina. Cell report methods, in press.
https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/513192v1