[visionlist] Postdoctoral Fellowship in Lighting Measurement and Perception

Richard F Murray rfm at yorku.ca
Wed Aug 3 13:33:43 -04 2022

Richard Murray and Michael Brown (Centre for Vision Research, York University, Toronto, Canada; yorku.ca/rfm, www.cse.yorku.ca/~mbrown) are seeking a postdoctoral fellow for a collaborative, interdisciplinary project.

The postdoc will work with the PIs on developing methods for using omnidirectional cameras to measure and characterize lighting in natural scenes. We seek a candidate with a Ph.D. in a relevant area such as human vision or computer vision. A strong computational background is required, but beyond that there is room for tailoring the project to the interests and skills of the applicant. The project includes calibrating cameras, creating measures of lighting properties such as direction and diffuseness, relating these measures to perceived lighting properties, and characterizing lighting statistics in natural scenes.

The successful candidate will apply for a VISTA Postdoctoral Fellowship at York University (vista.info.yorku.ca/opportunities/postdoctoral-fellowships) with our support. This two-year fellowship provides a competitive salary and includes funding for research expenses and networking. The start date is flexible, between December 2022 and July 2023.

The Centre for Vision Research (www.cvr.yorku.ca) is a dynamic and interdisciplinary research cluster at York University in Toronto, Canada, with over 40 faculty members investigating a wide span of topics in biological and computer vision, in departments ranging from physics and computer science to psychology and visual arts.

For further information, write to Richard Murray (rfm at yorku.ca) or Michael Brown (mbrown at eecs.yorku.ca). To apply, send a statement of research interests, c.v., and reference letters to either PI by September 2, 2022.

York University values diversity, and we encourage applications from talented individuals of diverse backgrounds.