[visionlist] Final call for submissions: CogFeel Workshop at ALIFE 2023 (extended deadline: June 06)

Jie Mei majorjiemei at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 02:05:30 -04 2023

*Apologies for cross-posting*

We have decided to extend the submission deadline of the CogFeel Workshop
from May 26 to June 06.

Workshop information:
Venue: ALIFE 2023, Sapporo, Japan
Submission deadline: June 06
Notification of acceptance: June 13
Workshop date: July 25th, 2023

Title: Cognitive feelings: Towards multi-disciplinary approaches for
realizing artificial systems with cognitive capacities
Website: https://sites.google.com/view/cogfeel-alife-2023/

Workshop organizers:
Jie Mei, International Research Center for Neurointelligence, The
University of Tokyo
Hiroki Kojima, National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry and The
University of Tokyo
Yuichi Yamashita, National Center of Neurology and Psychiatry
Yukie Nagai, International Research Center for Neurointelligence, The
University of Tokyo

been proposed to deepen our understanding of living systems and their
interactive, evolutionary, and adaptive aspects. However, we have not fully
achieved the emergence of intelligence and mind in artificial systems. To
facilitate discussions on how cognitive capacities of artificial living
systems could be improved and potentially propose a framework for exploring
the origin, emergence and evolution of perception and emotions, we are
organizing a workshop (CogFeel @ ALIFE 2023:
https://sites.google.com/view/cogfeel-alife-2023) in conjunction with the
2023 Conference on Artificial Life (ALIFE 2023).

We reinforce the role of cognitive feelings (i.e., feelings about one’s
mental processes, encompassing senses of knowing, confidence, reality, and
fluency, etc.) as an integrated component contributing to developmental
individuality and diversity. We also recognize the difficulty in
implementing (subjective) feelings in artificial systems which requires the
differentiation whether these systems possess feelings or just behave as so.

For a comprehensive perspective on how individual- and population-level
diversity in cognitive and behavioral capacities emerges, in this workshop,
we encourage discussions on methods and findings in disciplines including
but not limited to:
-   Robotics,
-   Computational and behavioral neuroscience,
-   Psychology,
-   Virtual/augmented reality, and
-   Artificial intelligence, etc.

We welcome submissions on topics within the fields of (neuro)robotics,
computational and behavioral neuroscience, psychology, virtual/augmented
reality, and artificial intelligence. We also encourage contributions from
other relevant disciplines. Submissions should be in the form of extended
abstracts (maximum 2 pages) or research articles (maximum 8 pages).

We are planning to organize a special issue in partnership with a top
academic journal where extended versions of selected contributions will be
published.

Please submit your contribution to cogfeelalife2023 at gmail.com.

We look forward to seeing you at the CogFeel Workshop!