[visionlist] What can retinotopy tell us about how the brain allows us to see?

Jorge Almeida jorgecbalmeida at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 09:58:27 -04 2023

Just some context that I should have given (sorry!!!). This comes from 1)
the beautiful discussions on the functional role of retinotopy for instance
between people like Jon Kaas and others (e.g., "Kaas, J (1997). Topographic
maps are fundamental to sensory processing. Brain Research Bulletin, 44(2),
107-112. vs. Weinberg, R. (1997). Are topographic maps fundamental to
sensory processing?  Brain Research Bulletin, 44(2), 113-116.); and 2)
trying to understand how, in general, topographic maps such as retinotopy
can be important functionally (and not just neurally) and can guide our
understanding of how the mind works (at different levels of abstraction).
Thank you all so much!
jorge almeida