[visionlist] What can retinotopy tell us about how the brain allows us to see?

Tomas Knapen tknapen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 16:15:26 -04 2023

Hi Jorge,

We recently wrote a review about exactly this issue, prompted by a slew of recent studies showing coding of visual space throughout the brain (1). This builds on many ideas, also from the ones you’re citing. I personally love Koenderink earlier work on this subject too (2).

Interesting directions (again, personal opinion) are how different regions have specific biases in the representation of visual space, like in Uri Hasson’s earlier work (3). And, recent ideas by Mike Arcaro and Marge Livingstone about how different sensory topographies relate to one another (4).

Hope this helps, would love to discuss more.

Tomas

1.Groen, I. I. A., Dekker, T. M., Knapen, T. & Silson, E. H. Visuospatial coding as ubiquitous scaffolding for human cognition. Trends Cogn Sci (2021) doi:10.1016/j.tics.2021.10.011.
2.Koenderink, J. J. The brain a geometry engine. Psychological Res 52, 122–127 (1990).
3.Hasson, U., Levy, I., Behrmann, M., Hendler, T. & Malach, R. Eccentricity Bias as an Organizing Principle for Human High-Order Object Areas. Neuron 34, 479–490 (2002).
4.Arcaro, M. J. & Livingstone, M. S. On the relationship between maps and domains in inferotemporal cortex. Nat Rev Neurosci 22, 573–583 (2021).