[visionlist] PhD Positions at the University of Toronto

Benjamin Wolfe benjamin.wolfe at utoronto.ca
Wed Oct 25 11:43:28 -04 2023

The Applied Perception and Psychophysics Lab (APPLY Lab) at the University of Toronto is recruiting interested students for the PhD program to start in Fall, 2024. These positions are fully funded.

The APPLY Lab (led by Dr. Benjamin Wolfe and Dr. Anna Kosovicheva) studies fundamental and applied questions in vision science, and looks to real-world tasks to better understand how vision works. We are particularly interested in fundamental questions in peripheral vision, visual localization, visual attention, eye movements, and individual differences in these processes. Our applied work focuses on questions of driver behaviour and digital readability, and how what we learn in the lab can impact and improve the world. The APPLY Lab is located at U of T’s Mississauga campus and we collaborate widely with researchers in both academia and industry. The lab is part of the Perception, Cognition and Cognitive Neuroscience track in the University of Toronto’s Tri-campus Graduate Program in Psychology.

The ideal candidate should have research experience in psychology, human factors, neuroscience, or computer science. Previous experience with programming, psychophysics, and/or eye tracking is highly desired. Most importantly, candidates should have an interest in studying fundamental and applied questions in perception using behavioral methods.

The APPLY lab and the U of T Psychology PhD program support students from diverse backgrounds. We offer a supportive, welcoming, and inclusive lab environment that is committed to work-life balance. The PhD program offers many excellent opportunities for collaboration with other faculty, opportunities for teaching, and well-rounded training in perception and cognition.

For more details, please see the U of T Tri-Campus PhD program (https://www.psych.utoronto.ca/prospective-graduate-students/about-our-tri-campus-graduate-program) and our lab website: www.applylab.org<http://www.applylab.org/>. If you have questions, please get in touch with Dr. Wolfe (benjamin.wolfe at utoronto.ca) or Dr. Kosovicheva (a.kosovicheva at utoronto.ca) directly; we welcome emails from interested potential applicants.

Applications are due 1 December 2023

Benjamin Wolfe, PhD
Assistant Professor, Department of Psychology
University of Toronto Mississauga
3359 Mississauga Road; Office: CCT 4057
benjamin.wolfe at utoronto.ca

Co-Director, Applied Perception and Psychophysics Laboratory (APPLY Lab)
www.applylab.org