[visionlist] Call for expression of interest - EXTRA EYE Project

Matteo Dunnhofer matteo.dunnhofer at uniud.it
Tue Nov 7 04:23:23 -04 2023

Dear all,

University of Catania, University of Macerata and University of Udine (Italy) are seeking very motivated candidates in view of the opening of positions to work on the EXTRA EYE project, “Egocentric and eXocenTRic views for An object-level human bEhavior analYsis and undErstanding through tracking in complex space” funded by the Italian Ministry of University and Research (MUR) through the PRIN 2022 measure. Our common goal is to revolutionise the way we understand human interactions in complex environments, focusing in particular on retail environments. The purpose of this Call for expression of interest is to identify the potential candidates that would be interested to join our team.

Project Overview:

The EXTRA EYE project is designed to comprehensively understand human activities and behaviour by merging first-person and third-person viewpoints. The system is structured around three core modules:
• First-Person View (FPV) Module: This component is aimed at understanding the interactions between the user and the object from an egocentric point of view.
• Third-Person View (TPV) Module: This module processes exocentric data captured from RGBD cameras.
• Object Tracking (OT) Module: This unit supports the FPV and TPV modules by consistently tracking objects of interest from both perspectives.

An aggregation unit further complements these modules, assimilating information to conduct context-specific behavioural analyses. The overarching aim is to enhance our understanding of human behavior, particularly in scenarios where interactions with objects play a pivotal role. Retail stores serve as the primary context for the development and testing of the EXTRA EYE system. These interaction-rich, goal-oriented environments will benefit immensely from the insights derived from our project. The resulting technologies will pave the way for innovative systems that enhance user experiences in complex environments.

More information on the project can be found at our web page: https://sites.google.com/view/extraeye/

Position Requirements:

• A strong background in Computer Vision or related fields.
• Familiarity with object tracking, egocentric vision, and behavioural analysis.
• Ability to work collaboratively within a multi-disciplinary team.

Interested candidates are encouraged to submit an expression of interest through this application form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScnWMsCQUF1L5iCHY3r_LNzJDf_6iZSg0qU12k2hEqH3d9Ojw/viewform

Antonino Furnari, University of Catania
Christian Micheloni, University of Udine
Marina Paolanti, University of Macerata