[visionlist] consent form question - stroboscopic light

Apl.Prof.Dr. Sven Heinrich sven.heinrich at uniklinik-freiburg.de
Mon Dec 11 05:43:23 -04 2023

Dear Katherine,

It is generally assumed that stimulating monocularly (if this would work for your research question) substantially reduces the risk of triggering a seizure. Depending on the aim of your study, you could also try to choose flicker frequencies that are relatively low risk. Some risk remains, of course, but in combination with the exclusion of high-risk individuals and preparedness of the experimenter for the case of a seizure, the risk might be outweighed by the benefits of the study and considered acceptable by the IRB.

A while ago we had a patient (a single case among many thousand patients) who experienced a flicker-induced seizure (probably not a full-fledged epileptic one) during an ERG recording without any anamnestic hint of increased risk, as documented here: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10633-020-09813-9

Best regards,
Sven

Prof. Dr.rer.nat. Sven Heinrich

UNIVERSITÄTSKLINIKUM FREIBURG
Klinik für Augenheilkunde, Sektion Funktionelle Sehforschung
Killianstr. 5, 79106 Freiburg, Germany