[visionlist] [jobs] PhD position(s) in Toulouse (France): Deep learning models of the Global Workspace

Rufin VanRullen rufin.vanrullen at cnrs.fr
Thu Apr 4 15:02:57 -04 2024

PhD position(s) in an ERC-funded project exploring deep-learning
implementations of the Global Workspace theory.

We are seeking highly motivated and dedicated students to join our group
in Toulouse, France. Successful candidates will have formal training in
AI, Computer Science or related fields (e.g. computational
neuroscience), and a keen interest in cognitive neuroscience. Our ERC
Advanced Grant "GLoW" aims to take inspiration from neuroscience and
cognitive theories to build deep neural network models of cognition,
capable of integrating or "grounding" information across sensory and
linguistic modalities, and of displaying flexible cognitive behavior. We
will also use advanced AI models to improve the decoding and
understanding of brain activity. Details on the ideas that are developed
in the project can be found in this Opinion paper
<https://www.cell.com/trends/neurosciences/fulltext/S0166-2236(21)00077-1>.
The project is headed by Rufin VanRullen (CNRS, Toulouse, France), with
external advisors Ryota Kanai (Araya, Tokyo, Japan) and Murray Shanahan
(ICL/Deepmind, London, UK).

Our lab <https://rufinv.github.io/> is part of the CerCo Institute
<https://cerco.cnrs.fr/en> as well as the Artificial and Natural
Intelligence Toulouse Institute (ANITI)
<https://aniti.univ-toulouse.fr/en/>. Our team has many opportunities to
collaborate with neuroscientists, computer scientists, linguists,
roboticists etc. We have direct access to fMRI recording facilities and
to in-house (GPU) computing clusters as well as research-dedicated
supercomputers.

Typical appointments for PhD students are 3 years. The PhD stipend is
2,000 Euros/month (net). We expect to hire at least one candidate in the
Fall of 2024, but will continue to recruit exceptional applicants in the
foreseeable future. There is no firm deadline, but applications received
before May 15, 2024 will receive full consideration. To apply, please
send a CV and a letter <mailto:rufin.vanrullen at cnrs.fr> explaining your
research interests and motivations to: rufin.vanrullen [at] cnrs.fr
Any questions should also be directed to the same address.