[visionlist] Opening for a PhD student at Donders Institute, Netherlands

Jehee, J.F.M. (Janneke) janneke.jehee at donders.ru.nl
Wed Apr 24 04:39:57 -04 2024

Opening for a PhD student at Donders Institute, Netherlands

A PhD position is available in Dr. Janneke Jehee's lab at the Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behavior. The successful candidate will work on studies of visual decision-making, sensory uncertainty, and decision confidence. Research methods include computational modeling, brain imaging (fMRI, MEG), machine learning, behavioral methods, and other techniques.

Virtually every decision we make comes with a sense of confidence – a subjective estimate of decision accuracy. Confidence enables us to monitor and judge the quality of our own decisions and adapt our behavior accordingly. For example, we reduce speed when driving in bad weather because we are less confident about our estimates of the distance to surrounding traffic. But what makes us feel less confident in these conditions? What brain mechanisms underlie this ability? This project will address these and other questions regarding the neural basis of sensory uncertainty and visual decision confidence.

The Donders Institute in Nijmegen, Netherlands, is a friendly, collaborative research environment, and home to many outstanding researchers from all over the world. Facilities include high-field 3T and 7T research-dedicated MRI scanners, a 275-channel MEG system, several (MR-compatible) EEG systems, fully equipped behavioral labs, and high-performance computational facilities. The working language of the Donders Institute is English.

The position will be affiliated with an international network of nine research labs located throughout Europe. The successful candidate will receive interdisciplinary training in theories and methods for the study of visual perception, visual decision-making, and confidence. This includes many network-wide events and other international training opportunities.

Please see this website<https://www.jeheelab.org/> for more information on the lab’s research questions, style and approach; this website<https://confidentdecisions.org/> for more information about overarching research themes and questions within the wider network; and this website<https://www.ru.nl/en/working-at/job-opportunities/phd-candidate-visual-perception-and-decision-making> if you would like to apply.

Women and other underrepresented groups are explicitly encouraged to apply. Additional financial support for researchers with families is available. Relocation expenses for moving to the Netherlands will be covered.

--
Janneke Jehee, PhD
Principal Investigator

Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behavior
Nijmegen, Netherlands

E-mail: janneke.jehee at donders.ru.nl<mailto:janneke.jehee at donders.ru.nl>
Web: www.jeheelab.org<http://www.jeheelab.org/>