[visionlist] Fully-funded PhD and Postdoc fellowships - Vision science for surgery

Josselin Gautier josselin.gautier at univ-rennes.fr
Mon Jun 3 07:42:25 -04 2024

Starting date: Autumn 2024

The MediCIS team at University of Rennes, France, is opening two positions for a PhD student and a post-doc in the intersection of vision science and surgical data science. Basic science research on oculomotricity, motricity, pupillometry, postural stability, and eye-hand coordination will be applied to assist surgery and surgical training. New and exciting questions and ideas will be directly tested and applied to VR, physical surgical simulators or robotic systems, before to be potentially deployed to the operating room. Our goal is to use these vision science tools to improve the perceptual, cognitive, and visuomotor skills of the surgeons of the future.

Clinicians (surgeons and professors of surgery) in different medical specialties make up half of our research team. Our lab is equipped with a research-grade surgical robot as well as VR-based and physical surgical simulators. It is also well equipped with eye trackers (VR and non VR), EEG, ECG, IMU devices as well as dedicated servers for computational modelling and deep learning. The lab is located in the Medical Science Campus adjacent to the Rennes University Hospital Centre equipped with several imaging modalities and surgical robots.

Over the past years, the team has lead the way in surgical data science with important publications in this emerging field (Nature Biomed. Eng., Medical Image Analysis etc.see publication records <https://medicis.univ-rennes1.fr/>).

Rennes is a vibrant university city 90 min away from Paris by train, and is often ranked as the best city to live in France, if not Europe <https://ec.europa.eu/regional_policy/information-sources/maps/quality-of-life_en> (2020).
More about Rennes here <https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/22/travel/what-to-do-36-hours-in-rennes-and-st-malo-france.html> and its University here <https://www.univ-rennes.fr/en/welcome-university-rennes>, or here <https://www.topuniversities.com/student-info/studying-abroad/5-reasons-study-rennes-france>.

Applicants are invited to contact me directly with a CV and a cover letter.

--
Associate Prof. Dr.-Ing. Josselin Gautier
MediCIS team, LTSI Inserm,