[visionlist] Good research position for a good graduating senior

Wolfe, Jeremy M.,Ph.D. jwolfe at bwh.harvard.edu
Fri Feb 5 16:36:21 -04 2021

PLEASE POST or EMAIL THIS WHERE SENIORS WILL SEE IT. I ATTACH A WORD DOC VERSION. Thanks

FULL-TIME RESEARCH ASSISTANT POSITION AVAILABLE in VISION/ATTENTION/COGNITIVE SCIENCE

LOCATION: BOSTON, MA

START DATE: Late-Spring / Summer 2021

This position is in the lab of Jeremy Wolfe. We conduct psychophysical/behavioral research primarily in the area of visual attention. What guides attention? How do you find what you are looking for in a world full of things you are not looking for? How do radiologists find a tumor in an x-ray? How do their eyes move when they are searching? Why do we miss things? How might AI help us decisions about ambiguous stimuli? How can we keep track of several things at the same time? Healthy young adults are the experimental observers for most experiments, though we sometimes work with children and/or the elderly. Medical image perception, especially with radiologists as observers, is an increasingly large aspect of work in the lab. The position involves all stages of the research process, from planning experiments and preparing documents for the human subject review board to helping write up results for publication; but the main focus is data collection and analysis. Other responsibilities include assisting with outside visiting scholars and supervising summer undergraduate students. Research assistants typically attend and present at one scientific meeting each year, funding permitting.

This position requires a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree. A major in Psychology or related field would be preferable, but is not necessary. Some research experience would also be useful. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are needed in order to successfully work with expert observers (e.g. radiologists). A candidate should have some computer experience and should be willing to learn how to use our statistics, graphics, and word processing packages. Programming experience is not necessary, but familiarity with MATLAB, web design (HTML, JavaScript, CSS) and/or online experimental platforms would be a plus. Familiarity with eye tracking would be another plus. A candidate must be able to work in an organized, independent manner on multiple tasks and should be able to interact with subjects in a tactful and pleasant manner.

This is an excellent position for a recent college graduate who wants to spend two or more years in a research setting before going on to graduate or medical school. NOTES:

-       A two-year commitment is required.
-       The position is not appropriate for those with advanced degrees.
-       Visa and funding issues make it extremely difficult to hire non-US residents. Non-citizens with permission to work in the US are welcome to apply.

The Visual Attention Lab is committed to diversity and inclusion in hiring for this position.

This position could start anytime between about May 1 and Sept 1, depending on the candidate’s schedule (Finish college first!).

If interested, please send an email to Jeremy Wolfe. jwolfe at bwh.harvard.edu<mailto:jwolfe at bwh.harvard.edu>

Jeremy M Wolfe, PhD
Professor of Ophthalmology & Radiology,
Harvard Medical School

Visual Attention Lab
Department of Surgery
Brigham & Women's Hospital

65 Landsdowne St
4th Floor
Cambridge, MA  02139

Phone:  617-768-8818
Fax:  617-768-8816

Best email: jwolfe at bwh.harvard.edu<mailto:jwolfe at bwh.harvard.edu>
Backup: jeremywolfe0131 at gmail.com<mailto:jeremywolfe0131 at gmail.com>

Editor: Cognitive Research: Principles and Implications (CRPI)
CRPI is the open access, peer-reviewed journal of the Psychonomics Society
Do you do "use-inspired, basic research" in Cognition? That is what we publish.
http://www.cognitiveresearchjournal.springeropen.com/

Jeremy M Wolfe, PhD
Professor of Ophthalmology & Radiology,
Harvard Medical School

Visual Attention Lab
Department of Surgery
Brigham & Women's Hospital

65 Landsdowne St
4th Floor
Cambridge, MA  02139

Phone:  617-768-8818
Fax:  617-768-8816

Best email: jwolfe at bwh.harvard.edu<mailto:jwolfe at bwh.harvard.edu>
Backup: jeremywolfe0131 at gmail.com<mailto:jeremywolfe0131 at gmail.com>

Editor: Cognitive Research: Principles and Implications (CRPI)
CRPI is the open access, peer-reviewed journal of the Psychonomics Society
Do you do "use-inspired, basic research" in Cognition? That is what we publish.
http://www.cognitiveresearchjournal.springeropen.com/

The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error and the e-mail contains patient information, please contact the Mass General Brigham Compliance HelpLine at http://www.massgeneralbrigham.org/complianceline . If the e-mail was sent to you in error but does not contain patient information, please contact the sender and properly dispose of the e-mail.