[visionlist] Beall's List gone dark

Sebastiaan Mathot s.mathot at cogsci.nl
Thu Jan 26 11:06:46 EST 2017

Hi,

Let's not glorify Jeffrey Beall too much (or at all). His list was
useful, but it was never healthy that such an important resource was
curated by a single nutcase. To illustrate, let me quote from one his
papers:

/"The open-access movement is really about anti-corporatism. OA
advocates want to make collective everything and eliminate private
business, except for small businesses owned by the disadvantaged. They
don't like the idea of profit, even though many have a large portfolio
of mutual funds in their retirement accounts that invest in for-profit
companies."/

And so on, and so on. Is that the kind of guy we want to depend on? No
thanks.

And yes, he actually wrote this! In an obscure open-access journal,
ironically.

- http://www.triple-c.at/index.php/tripleC/article/view/525/514

Michael Eisen wrote an interesting blog about this:

- http://www.michaeleisen.org/blog/?p=1500

Cheers,

Sebastiaan

On 26/01/2017 14:30, John Neuhoff wrote:

> Losing Beall's list is really unfortunate, particularly for new
> scholars. There is some talks that Cabell's International is
> developing a similar list based, in part, on Beall's list. See:
>

> https://www.cabells.com/about-us
>

> There is some speculation that these two events are related (though
> this has been denied by Cabell's). See also the efforts of Dr. Eugene
> Noolah, a fictional character that has gotten himself appointed to the
> editorial boards of several predatory journals.
>

> https://www.facebook.com/Dr.Noolah/
>

> -JN

> John G. Neuhoff
> Department of Psychology