[visionlist] LCD Monitors suitable with suitable temporal response

Farid Kandil f.kandil at uke.de
Wed Mar 1 09:17:44 -05 2017

Hi there,

I have been using two monitors from iiyama.
The first was a G2773HS and had just 120 Hz (at full HD resulution),
the other is the newer version of it with 144 Hz.

Prices were just 350 Euros.

I am using visual first, second and third order motion stimuli,
we have recorded motion-onset VEP (EEG) SIgnals, which look pretty much
the same as with the comparable CRT monitor.

We have been checking onset times, onset time variability (about 0 ms)
across the monitor
and brightness using photo sensitive diodes and an oscilloscope and have
got very good
results. So much so that during the last two years, my EIZO CRT has been
sitting unused on my desk.

I was skeptical, have tried out and am convinced now.

However, I use self-written C-/OpenGL/OpenAL programs running on a
standard i5 PC with Ubuntu 16.04 with
a (then) mid-price nVidia GeForce Card GTX 750 (today, this is
considered a low-budged card, I know, but it also presents
optic flow stimuli totally flawlessly).

ONE BIG ADVANTAGE for motion stimuli: These TFT monitors have 27 inches,
so along with that new standard 16:9 geometry we activate a lot more of
the visual field than with our Eizo CRTs.

Have fun,

farid

On 28.02.2017 23:55, Phillip Guan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm wondering if there are alternatives to CRTs and the ViewPixx3D
> ($12,000 each) displays that can be used when fast response times are
> required for temporally varying stimuli. From this paper
> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4369646/ it seems that
> certain gaming monitors may be approaching the required quality level,
> are there any specific high framerate gaming panels that have come out
> in the last two years that approach parity with CRTs?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Phillip Guan

Dr. Farid I. Kandil
Wiss. Mitarbeiter
Dipl.-Psychologe

Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf (UKE)
Institut für Computational Neuroscience

Martinistraße 52
20246 Hamburg

Geb. W36 / Raum 104

Tel +49 (0)40 7410-57166
Lab +49 (0)40 7410-59828
Fax +49 (0)40 7410-54882

Email f.kandil at uke.de

Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf; Körperschaft des öffentlichen Rechts; Gerichtsstand: Hamburg | www.uke.de
Vorstandsmitglieder: Prof. Dr. Burkhard Göke (Vorsitzender), Prof. Dr. Dr. Uwe Koch-Gromus, Joachim Prölß, Rainer Schoppik