[visionlist] Matlab --> online Experiments

Prof. Michael Bach michael.bach at uni-freiburg.de
Mon Apr 20 11:19:30 -04 2020

Dear Maarten + All:

> …We have been working with a Processing inspired javascript library called p5.js,

Yes, a few of my phenomena pages are based on it
https://michaelbach.de/ot/-misc/p5/

In my experience its biggest plus is that it is very easy, very approachable, thus very rapidly you can get astounding results.

What I found lacking is a good GUI (but then I’m possibly spoiled by <https://michaelbach.de/ot/-misc/cappuccino/>), a little in timing, some deficiencies in sound*, and a possibly slow 3D implementation (but then, again, this <https://michaelbach.de/ot/sze-silhouette/> does put heavy demand on on-line 3D processing).

> … Anyhow, here (https://arxiv.org/abs/2004.08198) is a preprint, …

Impressive, thank you.
Clearly p5.js has lots going for it.

Best, Michael
--
Prof. Michael Bach   <https://michaelbach.de>

*for sound, I just (yes, late:) found that the “Web Audio API” has amazing capabilities if used to its full. But also difficult for me, and the wrapper that p5.js puts around it is sufficient for many situations.