[visionlist] Postdoc/PhD positions in Toulouse (France): Deep learning models of the Global Workspace

Rufin VanRullen rufin.vanrullen at cnrs.fr
Thu Mar 30 09:20:38 -04 2023

Multiple postdoctoral and PhD positions are available in an ERC-funded
project exploring deep-learning implementations of the Global Workspace
theory.

We are seeking highly motivated and dedicated students and post-docs to
join our group in Toulouse, France. Successful candidates will have
formal training in AI, Computer Science or related fields (e.g.
computational neuroscience), and a keen interest in cognitive
neuroscience. Our ERC Advanced Grant "GLoW" aims to take inspiration
from neuroscience and cognitive theories to build deep neural network
models of cognition, capable of integrating or "grounding" information
across sensory and linguistic modalities, and of displaying flexible
cognitive behavior. We will also use advanced AI models to improve the
decoding and understanding of brain activity. Details on the ideas that
will be developed in the project can be found in this Opinion paper
<https://www.cell.com/trends/neurosciences/fulltext/S0166-2236(21)00077-1>.
The project is headed by Rufin VanRullen (CNRS, Toulouse, France), with
external advisors Ryota Kanai (Araya, Tokyo, Japan) and Murray Shanahan
(ICL/Deepmind, London, UK).

Our lab <https://rufinv.github.io/> is part of the CerCo Institute
<https://cerco.cnrs.fr/en> as well as the recently created Artificial
and Natural Intelligence Toulouse Institute (ANITI)
<https://aniti.univ-toulouse.fr/en/>. Our team has many opportunities to
collaborate with neuroscientists, computer scientists, linguists,
roboticists etc. We have direct access to fMRI recording facilities and
to in-house (GPU) computing clusters as well as research-dedicated
supercomputers.

Typical appointments for post-docs are for 2 years (renewable for a 3rd
or 4th year), and 3-years for PhD. The beginning post-doc salary is
2,590 Euros/month (net), and can reach 3,200 Euros/month (net) for more
experienced post-docs. The PhD stipend is 2,000 Euros/month (net). We
expect to hire several candidates by the Fall of 2023, but will continue
to recruit exceptional applicants in the foreseeable future. To apply,
please send a CV and a letter <mailto:rufin.vanrullen at cnrs.fr>
explaining your research interests and motivations to: rufin.vanrullen
[at] cnrs.fr
Any questions should also be directed to the same address.