[visionlist] Seeking recommendations for blurring filters

Oruc, Ipek ipor at mail.ubc.ca
Tue Jun 13 18:06:45 -04 2023

Dear All,

Thank you for your excellent suggestions Michael, Alexandre, Lawrence, Mike, Curtis, Don, Siddhart, Vince, Tony, Keith, JP, Sergejs, Carlo, Sergio, Jeff, Sven!

There are many options here for us to try. I’m sure we will find a good solution among these. To summarize the suggestions for physical blurring methods, these were roughly under the main headings of transparent sheet/drafting film/frosted acetate, optical/refraction lenses, holographic/light shaping/other diffusers, Bangerter filters, and via projector settings.

Thank you all also for the papers shared. I will highlight two here that were especially helpful in my specific case, one by Heinrich and Strubin (2020) that examines a variety of filters to specify options that degrade acuity while sparing contrast [1] and another one by Strasburger, Bach & Heinrich (2018) that describe the differences between digital blurring (low-pass filtering) and dioptric blur [2].

[1] Heinrich, S. P., & Strübin, I. (2020). Use of diffusing filters for artificially reducing visual acuity when testing equipment and procedures. Documenta Ophthalmologica, 140, 83-93.
[2] Strasburger, H., Bach, M., & Heinrich, S. P. (2018). Blur unblurred—a mini tutorial. i-Perception, 9(2), 2041669518765850.

Best,
Ipek
Ipek Oruc, PhD (she/her)
Associate Professor

Department of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences
University of British Columbia
Rm 4440 - 818 West 10th Avenue
Vancouver, BC  V5Z 1M9

email: ipor at mail.ubc.ca<mailto:ipor at mail.ubc.ca>