[visionlist] Seeking recommendations for blurring filters

Michael Bach michael.bach at uni-freiburg.de
Wed Jun 14 01:06:48 -04 2023

Dear Beau + All:

> It is of course also possible to computationally simulate optical blur in an image from an arbitrary set of wavefront aberrations. We explain how in this paper:
> Watson, A. B. (2015). Computing human optical point spread functions. Journal of Vision, 15(2):26, 1-25, http://journalofvision.org/15/2/26/.

I agree, that’s what we did in this paper:
Dehnert A, Bach M, Heinrich SP (2011) Subjective visual acuity with simulated defocus. Ophthalmic Physiol Opt 31:625–631
http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/j.1475-1313.2011.00857.x
We compared computational to dioptric blur effects on VA and found a close fit on average (Fig. 2).

Smith (from whom I learned when he once visited my lab) introduced the idea of distinguishing blur with “source methods” (Beau or Dehnert above, or semi-transparencies on the screen) and “observer methods” (Bangerter, or dioptric blur):
Smith G, Jacobs RJ & Chan CDC. Effect of defocus on visual acuity as measured by source and observer methods. Optom Vis Sci 1989; 66: 430–435.

BTW: Thanks for the summary, Ipek!

Best, Michael
--
https://michaelbach.de