[visionlist] Vaegan seminar: A/Prof Takehiro Nagai (Tokyo Institute of Technology)

Juno Kim juno.kim at unsw.edu.au
Sun Jul 23 03:28:04 -04 2023

[Dear friends, please find below information about our next hybrid Vaegan seminar, which will be held next week. Best, Juno]

Title: Color and Material Perception: Investigating the Role of Color in Glossiness and Translucency Judgments

Speaker: A/Prof Takehiro Nagai (Tokyo Institute of Technology)

Time/Date: 1-2pm Friday 28 July 2023 (AEST)

Location: Rupert Myers Theatre, UNSW Sydney (Nearest Gate 14)

Hybrid Zoom link:  Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://unsw.zoom.us/j/83023210928?pwd=c2tBL2lsdFJMQldaTjNiT09DRVhTQT09

Abstract: The image features that contribute to material perception, such as glossiness and translucency, have been extensively studied in recent years. Previous research has primarily focused on luminance features in order to identify key image characteristics associated with material perception, as spatial patterns crucial for material impressions are predominantly based on luminance information. However, if our visual system relies on heuristics of image features for perceiving object materials, color should also play a role in these heuristics as well. In this seminar, I will discuss the influence of color on material perception, specifically with regard to glossiness and translucency. Firstly, a series of psychophysical experiments were conducted to explore the impact of color on material perception, revealing that the addition of colors enhances both glossiness and translucency. Subsequently, the relationship between simple image features and material perception was examined, highlighting the significant contributions of the Helmholtz-Kohlrausch effect and other color-related factors to perception under various stimulus conditions. Finally, I will address the question of whether color provides "essential" image cues for perceiving glossiness and translucency.

Bio: Takehiro Nagai is an Associate Professor at Department of Information and Communications Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology. He is also a Senior Visiting fellow at the School of Optometry and Vision Science, UNSW Sydney. He obtained his Ph.D. from Tokyo Institute of Technology under the supervision of Prof. Keiji Uchikawa. Following that, he conducted post-doctoral research at UCSD with Prof. Don MacLeod. He has held positions as an assistant/associate professor at Toyohashi University of Technology and Yamagata University before assuming his current position in 2018. Dr. Nagai's research interests lie in the fundamental mechanisms of visual perception and cognition, with a specific focus on color perception, material perception, and our interaction with the surrounding environment.

Juno Kim | PhD (Psychology) | Associate Professor
School of Optometry and Vision Science
UNSW MEDICINE AND HEALTH
UNSW SYDNEY NSW 2052 AUSTRALIA
E: juno.kim at unsw.edu.au<mailto:juno.kim at unsw.edu.au>  | T: +61 2 9065 1218<mailto:juno.kim at unsw.edu.au>