[visionlist] Webinars on light-mediated circadian circuits (Tiffany Schmidt, 10 August 2020) and natural illumination (Bob Fosbury, 24 August 2020)

Manuel Spitschan manuel.spitschan at psy.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 29 03:14:20 -04 2020

The two talks below might be of interest to readers of this listserv. Apologies for multi-postings!

The DLA Twilight Talks are around the corner!

The webinar series invites you to explore from home the colours, luminosity, and shadows of the sky as well as the way we perceive it. A fascinating foretaste of the DLA Summer School "Measuring Natural Illumination"<https://academy.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f3899271bfcb697abc5287d76&id=540e24c96a&e=c17ddd5adc> which had to be postponed to 2021.

We hope you will be able to virtually join us on

10 August 2020 | 17:00-18:00 CEST, for
Illuminating circadian circuits
With Tiffany Schmidt, Department of Neurobiology, Northwestern University, USA:
“In this talk I will discuss a new inhibitory signaling pathway from the eye to the brain that dampens the sensitivity of our circadian system to light.”
Add to calendar<https://daylight.academy/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/DLA-Twilight-Talk-1.ics> | Registration and more information<https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/3015931646712/WN_wop1-Aa1Raq1hwhidmqulA>

and/or on

24 August 2020 | 17:00-18:00 CEST, for
How the Sun paints the Sky
With Robert Fosbury, emeritus Astronomer, European Southern Observatory & Honorary Professor, Institute of Ophthalmology, University College London, UK:
“Although a clear sky is relatively transparent to visible light, bright astronomical objects — most noticeably the Sun — can paint the entire sky with luminosity, colour and shadow. How does this happen and what physical processes are responsible for these beautiful colours, gradations and patterns?”
Add to calendar<https://academy.us17.list-manage.com/track/click?u=f3899271bfcb697abc5287d76&id=e9629a19cc&e=c17ddd5adc> | Registration and more information<https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/3415931774748/WN_k8Z1-UUKTOSe6MCbejfLOA>

Both talks will be moderated by Manuel Spitschan, Department of Experimental Psychology, University of Oxford, UK.
Please help us spread the word and share the attached flyer.